Howard Rheingold, author of best-sellers Virtual Reality, The Virtual Community, Smart Mobs, and Net Smart, editor of best-seller The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog, takes audiences on a journey through the human side of the technology-shaped future.
He's been in on the Web since the beginning, and long before. He's studied Internet enterprises and started them. Rheingold was the founding Executive Editor of HotWired, the pioneering online publication launched on the World Wide Web by Wired magazine. He was the founder of Electric Minds, named by Time Magazine one of the ten best websites of 1996. He's a participant-observer in the design of new technologies, a pioneer, critic and forecaster of technology's impacts, and a speaker who involves his audience in an adventure in group futurism.
his books are published in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish language editions, in addition to distribution in the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Rheingold has taught as appointed lecturer at UC Berkeley and Stanford University. He was a non-resident Fellow at the Annenberg Center for Communication, visiting professor at De Montfort University, UK, which awarded him an honorary Doctorate of Technology degree. He delivered the invited Regents Lecture for University of California, Berkeley. A few of the groups Rheingold has addressed regarding the social, cultural, political and economic impacts of new technologies to:
Rheingold shows his audiences a real-time, real-life, uncensored glimpse of the new cultures and societies emerging online and on the street. Then he helps them understand the questions about their businesses, personal lives, political freedoms and social values they need to be asking themselves.
- The American Library Association (keynote), San Francisco
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), London
- Sony Corporation, Tokyo
- Nokia Corporation, Helsinki
- Sprint Telecommunications (keynote), Atlanta
- Nynex FLAG Project (keynote), Bangkok
- Pacific Bell Texpo (keynote), San Francisco
- Canadian Telecommunication Alliance (keynote), Toronto
- Ars Electronica (Linz)
- Art Futura (Barcelona)
- Harvard Graduate School of Design (keynote), Cambridge
- Ford Motor Company (keynote), Dearborn
- Dentsu (largest advertising agency in the world), Tokyo
- Hakuhodo (Japan's 2nd largest advertising agency), Tokyo
- Researchers at Apple, Fujitsu, IBM, Intel, Paramount, Philips, LucasFilms and IBM
- Computer marketing managers in Lisbon, Copenhagen and Augsberg
- Communication researchers in Tokyo, Kyoto, Amsterdam, Montpellier, Stockholm, and Paris
- The Science Museum of London (featured speaker), London
- The Smithsonian Institute (featured speaker), Washington, DC
- CHI (ACM Special Interest Group: Human-Computer Interface), Seattle, WA
- Appearances on CBS News, NBC Today, ABC Primetime Live and Good Morning America, Macneil-Lehrer Report, NPR Fresh Air, Marketplace, and Talk of the Nation, BBC Horizon, Canal+ in Paris.
Howard Rheingold is represented by Monitor Talent Network: Meghan Fennell or firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Howard Rheingold's Bio | Return to Howard Rheingold's home page.